strokesRPG: Gray Vale

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats

The CFP loses the goblin track and stumble upon a burrow of wererats.

Adventure Record

PbP Start Date: 6/29/2009.

MT Session Date: 7/11/2009, 9:00 PM (MST)

Adventure Date: Ches 19 (Spring Equinox), 1479 DR, the Year of the Ageless One.

Base Location: The Town of Loudwater, Gray Vale

Adventure Module: The Barrow of the Ogre King

Session Number: 1.2

Pregame Notes

  • Need two Endurance checks from Iris (DC 20)

OPENING CREDITS

Eveningof Ches 19, 1479 DR, the Year of the Ageless One… The CFP are hot on the trail of the goblins, following the track back to their lair…

Last time, the CFP, a heroic adventuring party, forms at the Green Tankard Tavern. Goblins blow up Loudwater’s wall and enter the Southsquare, hacking and slashing innocents, trying to make their way to Garwan’s Curiosities. Even with CFP fighting valiantly, the goblins are able to break the window and take several items on display. After the battle, the CFP are given the “Goblin Scroll,” found by Sunsteen on the dead goblin hexer. The scroll reveals that the goblins were after the Horn Totem, which is apparently needed to raise the long dead “Ogre King.”

The CFP follow the tracks the goblins made through the Southwood, hoping it will bring them to their lair. The adventuring party have been travelling for the better part of the day and now, as darkness fall and in a snow storm, they try to make it to the elusive lair…

Welcome to Grayvale: MT Session 1.2

Closing Location Details

Nation: Gray Vale

Town\Area: 8.75 miles South of Loudwater in the Southwood

Building\Level: N/A

Module Location Number: Failed Skill Challenge Encounter: Rats

Campaign Date: Ches 19 (Spring Equinox), 1479 DR, the Year of the Ageless One.

Time: Evening

Weather Condition: 19 F, Snow, Dark low clouds, Wind 27 mph

Other Information: Samuelryn no showed for the game, so the failed skill challenge encounter was completed with 4 PCs.

Last Major Events

  • The CFP set out from Loudwater, tracking the Goblins to their lair.
  • In the afternoon, a snow storm occurs causing some difficulties for the CFP. They end up becoming lost and stumble upon a burrow of wererats.
  • Amagar, Digi and Screech get bit by wererats in their rat form (need saving throws to determine if they contract Filth Fever and still have 1 more healing surge than listed).

Last Minor Events

  • Zark is introduced
  • Garwan is introduced
  • Garwan gives the CFP the Horn Totem
  • Captain Harrowleaf is introduced.
  • CFP takes a Short Rest before beginning their journey to the Barrow of the Ogre King.
  • CFP each loose a healing surge for failures in round 7, 8 and 10 in “Finding the Barrow.”

Other Information

  • Sunrods burn out in 4hrs
  • Curuvar’s Endure Elements ritual ends in 14 hrs

Comments

The night is dark and cold, with low dark clouds blocking any moonlight. Snow falls steadily and a strong wind howls trying to bite at any exposed flesh. The goblin barrow could be over the next rise, but which rise? The CFP have lost the goblin track completely and Curuvar’s magic won’t last forever either. It is most probable that the ritual will give out sometime tomorrow around mid-morning.

CFP are left with some choices… finding the goblin track again tonight is a risky enterprise and will be nearly impossible in the dark and with all the fresh snow covering the track. The heroes know its going to take the better part of the day tomorrow to find the goblin lair, and Curuvar’s magic won’t last all day, therefore the CFP will be left exposed to the elements. Perhaps they will walk through the night, well into Night’s End, back to Loudwater. That at least is the less risky off the options.

(Some PCs, including screech were bit by the wererats. I’ll be a needing a saving throw to resist the effects of Filth Fever)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna sees to her own wounds then checks the others to see if someone needs immediate attention. She notes that Screech shows signs of extreme distress. She knows that she needs rest to heal and looking at the others…... they need rest too. Thinking about the missing children, Gwenna is loathe to quit so with heavy heart, she says, “I believe it would be wise to go back to Loudwater tonight. We cannot long survive out here and perhaps this snow will stop soon. Our search would be easier methinks with better weather.” That being said, Gwenna attends to Screech. (heal check?)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

As Gweena attends to Screech she knows that her healing skill will only be of use if the bird actually contracts Filth Fever.

(See Treat Disease in the PHB. Otherwise everyone can take an Extended Rest here or at Loudwater (probably best back in town) and gain all its benefits. If Screech fails his saving throw then he will take damage equal to his level, since he has no surges left).

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz tries to shield Screech from the wind and examine the nasty bite. “Oh Screech, you are the brave one. Look at that bite. That is not going to heal very quickly.

Then with a exhale of dispair, he turns to Gwenna and says “I think you are right, as much as I hate to admit it. Trying to find the barrow in this storm is just going to get us pretty close to dead. The tracks are gone now, so you are right that we should head back to Loudwater and rest and wait for the storm to pass. And Screech is not looking too well, so he could use the rest.”

Screech
Saving Throw, roll #1 (1d20): 4

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris got caught in the storm separated from the others on one of her forays. Seeing as the conditions of the snow storm were too poor for her to proceed with looking for the burrow, she focused on finding her way back to the others. It took her a great deal of time to backtrack to them through the falling snow, but once she found them she realized they’d stumbled into a battle without her. She shifted back to her humanoid form and looked each of them over to see if anyone had been seriously hurt.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

As Raz and Gweena examine the bird’s bite they see that it has become infected (Screech contracts Filth Fever and loses one hp for the initial effect of the disease. After the party takes an extended rest, Screech will have to roll an Endurance check, Gweena or any one else looking after the bird can make a Heal check also. If the Heal check is higher than Screech’s Endurance check, than the result determines the disease’s effects).

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(I’m going to need Saving Throws from Amagar and Digi also).

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

frustrated by the storm, Digi bundles himself up and tends to the bite wound.

((Roll #1 (1d20): 11 – Sorry Strokes, had a second roll in the cookie I guess)

“well, this night is well and hosed. wrong turn, wrong squeakers. Lets head back to town and let the weather clear.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“Yeah, everyone, let’s head back.” With that, Raz dejectedly starts to head back to Loudwater.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Digi examines his bite wound and sees its a clean bite with no signs of infection. After dressing the wound the CFP make their way back towards Loudwater with the snow storm never lessening. Sunrods burnout a little more than halfway through the journey, and most of the CFP have to ignite there last one to make it back to town safely. The CFP are worst for wear, but they are able to trudge on finding their way back easily enough.

Its well into Moondark and a few hours before Dawn when the CFP arrive in town. The hole in the Southwall is heavily guarded and the CFP are questioned by the Loudwater Patrol before being allowed admittance into town. The Tankard is locked up tight, but after a few minutes of rapping at the door a sleepy eyed Marsh lets the party in. On this rare occasion Marsh has little to say, although he does apologize for only having one large room available to accommodate the group . He assures the CFP that tomorrow he’ll have better rooms with downy beds, and then bids them a goodnight.

The room has several sleeping pallets and a footlocker rests at each one. There are a few chairs, a chamber pot, and a large vessel of water and an empty steel bowl for washing. The room has an unlit hearth and a stack of wood lies neatly near it.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz stretches his achy joints and settles down to make a fire. After it is blazing, he sheds his outer clothes and hangs them up to dry and shudders to think what the already miserable night would have been like without the protection from Curuvar. Once the room is warm and hoping the chamber pot doesn’t stink up the place, he will wash up using the metal bowl and water.

Then he gets as comfortable as possible and tends to Screech, feeding and consoling the brave little one. Raz waits until the dawn breaks and listens for sounds in the kitchen so he can get a hot meal and hoping to find Curuvar among the patrons.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris returned to the form of the Wolf for the return trip to Loudwater, she went out of her way to get as much snow on her as she could, the blood being washed out of her fur as the snow melted, soaking her to the bone. She was execeptionally grateful for the ritual that had been bestowed on them before they’d left town. She followed the others into town as far as the Tankard. She was obviously hesitant about staying at the tavern, and chose instead to go to the Temple, she would be able to find shelter there for the night. Enclosed or not, she would be more comfortable there.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(Saving Throw: 1d20 = 19)

Amagar, feeling tired after a long day of walking and fighting, drags his sleeping pallet a bit closer to the fire before working to shuck his chainmail and equipment. When he’s finally rid of his heavy gear he sticks his sheathed blades under the side of the pallet before finally bedding down to rest without a word to the rest of the group.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz pulls out the horn totem and slowly turns it in his fingers and begins to ponder on dark thoughts. He is hoping that the CFP won’t have to make the hard choice between securing the freedom of the children or keeping the totem to prevent the goblins from raising the Ogre King. If the goblins were too strong, would the CFP bargain with the totem? Giving the hoard the totem could hasten the destruction and death of the citizens of Loudwater. He is hoping it won’t come to that.

Then, he takes a deep breath and looks around the room at the motley band and feels a bit more optimistic.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris arrives at the temple of Silvanus and as she passes through the grand archway leading into the temple she looks up to the symbol of an oak leaf. It still gleams of its own emerald light through the falling snow like a lens of a lighthouse which offers safe harbor to a wayward ship on stormy sea. The interior is much like it was before, although the light is more subdued, much like twilight, and the ceiling projects a starry sky with a waning Selune. The night is cool inside the temple, yet a warm breeze persists swaying the crown of trees on top of the grassy hill, which dominates the main sanctuary.

(Raz should make a Heal check for Screech, or Gweena could also tend to the bird by making a Heal check, and Raz’s check (DC 10) could be for the assist, giving Gweena a +2 to her check)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Amagar tends to his wounds he notices he’ll have a few more scars when its all said and done, but they will heal fine.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Melieraz cradles Screech and approaches Gwenna, being sure to not disturb the tiefling, and says “I have not the skill with healing that your gentle hands do. Can you help my friend? I will assist in anyway I can.”

Heal Assisting Gwenna (1d20 + 2): 11 + 2 = 13

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Digi stakes out a mat, and works loose his wet armor. Carefully, he polishes the axe that has served him so well, and then props it on the wall beside him. He moves to his armor next. Carefully tending to each scuff and nick in the lovingly crafted leather – rubbing a couple drops of oil into each rough spot, and buffing it back to an almost new appearance. After the leathers, he tends to his leggings then carefully lays out the contents of his backpack to dry tending to each item with the care of a mother looking after her children.

with a final look about the room and a concerned grimace for the condition of Screech, he smiles encouragement to Raz and Gwenna then lies down – His axe close at hand – and idly runs his fingers through locks of his flowing mane and wonders when he will have a chance to buy a decent brush.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna strokes the bird and whispers, “brave little fella.” Holding her holy symbol in her right hand and keeping her other hand on the bird, she begins to softly chant. (Heal (1d20 + 11): 6 + 11 = 17). Her eyes flash then a look of calm comes over her.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

After her short prayer, Gweena opens the window and tosses out the spent water. Then she pours herself a fresh bowl and begins to clean the birds wounds. The bite wound looks infected and screech looks as if he is feeling its affects. The wound is cleaned and bandaged and both Gweena and Raz know that they will just have to wait it out.

The CFP lay down and try to get some rest before the sun comes up. It doesn’t seem very long before noise is heard coming from the downstairs kitchen.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

As he stretches, the goliath makes a ‘yearrrrrgghghgh’ noise as he works out the stiffness form his muscles – then standing to his feet, he shakes his hair out and looks to Raz, “well, we still have squeakers to stomp, and those chil-uns to rescue. You think the bird will be good to go?”

after a brief pause he packs up his good again, and carrying his gear with his off hand, heads downstairs… hollering back from the doorway to the others “better get cracking if you are interested in eating… I am feeling famished.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris returns to her humaniod form once she is inside the Temple, then spends some time in meditation and prayer to Sylvanus before asking Brother Griffon where she can rest for the night.

In the morning, she woke before the sun rose and found a nice place to watch the sunrise if the weather permitted, waiting until the sun was up before she went to find Brother Griffon again.

When she found him again, she would ask him if he had anything that would aid her and the others in finding the barrow and surviving against the cold to return to the town.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Imagining how much the big man could eat, Raz gathers his things and perches Screech on his shoulder. “Digi, Screech will be fine, thanks to the healing hands of Gwenna,” and nods his thanks to her. “But, until this storm passes, I think we are stuck here. Maybe it’ll be a good time to explore the town a little because finding the Barrow in the storm will be next to impossible, I think.”

Once he gets the tavern, he steps outside to see how much snow has fallen and if there is any sign of the clouds breaking.

After that, he reenters the tavern and sees who is there and orders something hot to eat and some tea.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna waits until all her companions leaves the room. She washes her face and hands with fresh water. Once her grooming is complete, she spends a quiet 1/2 hour in prayer. She asks Chauntea to ease the storm and to ease the way of her group to find the missing children. When her prayers are complete, she goes downstairs to eat and if there are any farmers in the tavern this morning, she will ask them if the weather will change soon. Surely the farmers will know the weather patterns in this area.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar flexes as he prepares to get his food, joints stiffened by a hard bed cracking as they re-awaken. While asleep he considered a variety of paths open to the group and put some forward: “Perhaps now that there’s some fresh-fallen snow on the ground we should see if the goblins attack again. If we turn them back as we did before then pursue them, their retreating tracks will form clear impressions that would be almost too easy to follow.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

DIgi faces the common room with famished eyes. “hey Marsh!... what you got for a starvin’ golith to eat around here?”

Digi then walks to the window and looks at the sky attempting to make some sort of judgment about the Weather for the coming day.

(nature check: 1d20 + 2: 5 + 2 = 7)

“Baah! I cant tell much from here… now back home… you could tell from the smell of the wind how much snow was on the way and when the sun would shine again… this place is a riddle to me.”

“Anyone around here a diviner of weather?” he says in a clear voice to nobody in particular, “When will the sky clear so we can go stomp those squeakers”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Brother Griffon offers to perform Endure Elements for Iris’ party. He also predicts the weather, saying in two days time the weather should clear up enough to allow for easier travel.

About 4” of snow fell through the night. Its currently not snowing but threatening low white clouds hang over Loudwater.

The common room of the Tankard is abuzz with talk about yesterday’s raid. The CFP are asked many questions about their journey last night and whether or not they found the goblin lair. There’s also talk about several headless bodies found outside Loudwater’s walls. Apparently the patrol, while searching the wall perimeter after the raid, stumbled upon them. There’s much speculation of the identities of the cadavers and who is behind this horrible act. Most folks conclude that the bodies where local criminals and the local crime syndicate, “the Lady of Shadows,” is behind it.

Everyone agrees that the storm should pass in two days time.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris thanks Brother Griffon and lets him know that she will bring the others to the Temple when the storm clears so they can receive his blessing. She then signs that she will return to the Temple later, but that she needs to go try to convey what he told her to the others so they don’t try to go back out into the cold too soon.

Bundled up tight in her cloak, Iris all but ran to the tavern, not wanting to spend any more time out in the cold than she had to, snowing or not. Once inside, she would take a seat at an empty table. She saw the others in the room, but made no effort to draw their attention away from the morning meals. When Marsh came over, she pantomimed eating and drinking for a moment, hoping he would get the hint.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz considers what the tiefling has said and then responds, “That would be too perfect, um, ur, what is your name?

“Anyway, I think they suffered some loses of some strong members of their hoard and probably wouldn’t try again until they got the Ogre King, but I could be wrong. I’m guessing they wouldn’t like trudging through the storm anymore than we would.

“If they are still after this horn totem, and they have the magic means to find it, well, we are in luck. From what the goblin said after their raid, it sounds like they could raise the King, it would just take longer…if I’m remembering that correctly. Too bad we couldn’t scare or convince that ‘squeaker’ into telling us where their barrow is.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Kicks in a the snow a little and thinks I can’t believe we lost the trail in 4 inches of snow, less when we actually lost it. The CFP still has a long way to go.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Raz returns the main room of the Green Tankard, he notices the shifter and says “There you are! You are a slippery one. Where have you been?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

The CFP notice that there are more patrons in the Tankard compared to yesterday morning. Not a single table remains empty. As members of the party enter the commons, the normal loud roar from folks eating and gossiping become hush whispers. Some folks facing the party slyly point, while those with their backs turned discreetly look.

Marsh, who appears to be in the middle of a story again, sees you enter and waves and smiles, “Good morn, I’ll be with right away.” March then rushes out from behind the bar and quickly ushers a group of what look to be dock worker from their table. He quickly buses the table, wiping the it clean with one large swoop of a white towel. He holds out his arm, gesturing for you to sit down. “Please, sit here,” he says with an toothy smile.

When you sit down he adds, “Now I want you to know that the Tankard will carry your bill. Now that’s food & lodging for your entire stay here at my place.” In a whisper he continues, “The town is abuzz with your good deeds yesterday, and everyone wants to get a look at you. It appears you are good for business, so enjoy.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(lol, oh and btw, the 4” of snow is wrong. Forgive my ignorance because I actually don’t have very much experience in the snow and my weather gen. doesn’t actually tell me how precipitation has fallen over a given period. I guess I was first thinking of a N. AZ storm, but to be more realistic, considering the lat. long. of the Grey Vale, there was probably more like 18—24” of snow fall over the night.)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(he he, Now THAT makes more sense, having grown up in Colorado!)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Gwenna finally makes it downstairs, she first looks for Raz and the others. She sees the shape shifter at a table then decides that she would like to know her better. From the looks of the crowd, she will have opportunity enough to talk with the farmers. Hopefully the locals can predict the weather and maybe offer some insight about where the goblins lair might be. First though, some warm food. She sits at the same table as Iris and says to her “G’morning. Did you get lost in the snow last night?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(Yes… that does make more sense… x.x especially given the temperature you gave, though the wind speed would have lessened the amount of snow that stuck… some… 18 would be reasonable though.)

Iris shakes her head sadly at Marsh’s reasoning, though she wasn’t going to argue against him covering their room and board for free. She all but ignores Melieraz’s comment about her being slippery, she’d gotten caught separated from the rest of them when the storm decided to lash out at them, after all, but of course she had no real way to explain this to them.. And then Gwenna’s insight hit the mark well enough as Iris gave a curt nod in response to it, solving that problem handily. She then reminded Marsh again through pantomime that she wanted to break her fast.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Marsh nods to Iris in understanding finally getting her pantomime and leaves for the kitchen. He soon comes back with a plate of warm drop biscuits, a large bowl of hard boiled goose eggs, several bowls of porridge, and a plate of bacon. “Eat hearty,” he says rather proudly.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

A middle aged human woman comes over to the party, having just finished her meal. Looking rather angry she introduces herself, “Well met, I’m Calla and I run the Loudwater General. Its the first building on the left heading towards the river from here. We sell tools, clothing, food, drink, and some simple weapons, ammunition, and adventuring gear. I can also special order more unusual items if you want it. It will cost you a bit more and because it will be coming from Secomber it may take a tenday or two to get it here.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Iris does not respond, Raz inhales to speak again but more loudly in case the shifter didn’t hear him, but then Gwenna comes over and addresses the shifter in her normal, quiet voice. Noting the nod to Gwenna, Raz becomes puzzled. Had he offended the shifter somehow? He was just trying to be friendly and was wondering where she was last night as the rest of the group rested by the fire. He can see this is going to be a long string of miscommunications with this one.

Raz thanks Marsh for his generosity, especially since he is running very low on his own coins. Then he orders portion of the hearty breakfast.

He turns to Calla and says, “Most excellent, Calla. I shall be needing some arrows and will stop by you shop before the morning is out. My name is Raz,” and offers his hand in greeting.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“ah Marsh… you are a man after my own heart.”

with that, the Goliath begins to eat. breaking the biscuits in half before dipping each in the bacon’s grease and downing them in enormous bites.

“Now raz” Digi says through a mouthful of crumbs and gesticulating with the other half of a soggy biscuit. “This almost makes up for missing out no stomping the squeakers.”

then with flourish, he gobbles some more bacon, and looks for a spoon….

“Marsh! this is excellent… “

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

after a third bowel of porridge, Digi looks over to Raz.

“So, the weather looks rough the next couple days. as much as i will enjoy eating old Marsh out of house and home, I don’t know if i can stand being cooped up that long. maybe we can track down the source of the headless bodies around the wall? if your bird friend is up to getting some fresh air, i would be game for checking out the local General Store too.”

“what you think?” the goliath asks as he points with the handle of his spoon at Gwenna and the shape shifter…

“what we supposed to call you anyway?”

then to the Tiefling “dont think we caught your name either… but that was darn find sword work with the rats… nice trick keeping that one from running off at the end…”

then he falls back to his eating

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris sets about eating as soon as the food arrives, obviously taking great care to show some manners… If lifting the bowl to her lips to ‘drink’ the porridge could be considered good manners.. at least she doesn’t use her hands. Calla’s shameless advertising was noted; if Iris needed something that she couldn’t acquire from the Temple – assuming of course that the Temple here provided services for the local Druids the way her Grove back in the Moonshae Isles did – she’d know where to find it at least.

As for Digi’s question as to what to call her, she’d had plenty of experience finding ways to introduce herself since she’d made her vow, and she reached into her robe, withdrawing what served as her ritual book, two peices of thick bark strung together, the pages all some kind of large leaves. She opened the book for a moment and withdrew a pressed, and very well preserved, Iris flower. Pointing to the flower, and then to herself as a way of stating her name, she replaced it inside her book and hid them back within her cloak, never giving any of them a chance to peak at the Druidic script within it.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Calla offers her hand in return, “Well then I must be off. I must see how my adopted son is doing with digging out the store. Good day,” and the woman turns to leave.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna nods her goodbye to the shop woman, mutters a prayer of thanks,then grabs a bowl of porridge and a goose egg before the gobbling goliath eats it all. She watches as the silent shifter shows her the pressed flower. “Iris?:” Gwenna asks. So many questions run thru her head then slowing her thoughts, she realizes that she should phrase her questions to be answered yes or no. After a spoonful of porridge and a bit of egg (hmmm…..warm food is blessing after such a cold night), she asks of Iris, “Mute from birth?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“Hmm… so you didn’t. I guess I should tell you all, my name is Amagar.” With that, he picks out a couple of the eggs and biscuts and a bowl of porridge, leaving the bacon alone. He scratches the scar above his eye before he finally starts eating with unusual manners for a mercenary; eating in silence until his food is food is finished.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

As Calla leaves, Raz says “Oh wait, Calla, I have a question. Do you sell…um…what are they called…snow shoes?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“eh, what a lot we are…” mumbles Digi…

“Iris… Interesting name. would ask you your story, but you don’t seem to talk a whole lot. As for me, I got here the long way… started out in the mountains south of Elfharrow. Then worked my way through The Shaar and got hired on with a caravan on the Golden road… eventually ended up in Turmish. They have some hills there that they call mountains, but let me tell you that they aren’t really all that much… so what to do? tired of watching the south end of a northbound horse all day… figured i would try something new, and as i had a few coins saved, I booked passage across the Dragonmere to Suzail. sounded more exciting at the time, so there i was in Suzail, and out of coin, and what to do? just happened that there was a fellow at the docks hiring, so there i was looking at the back of a horse again. those folks in Cormyr seem to think their horses are something special, but for all i can tell they have the same boring backside. things went poorly with that caravan, so i thought ‘Waterdeep!’ that will be interesting.. so i managed to get on with a caravan headed for The Trade Way. Ended up here after hearing some rumors of some real adventure…. “

then to Amagar, “where you from?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Calla turns to the elf as she’s opening the door to leave and looking like her time is being wasted says “Come on by, I have what your looking for. Now I have to see how my adopted son is doing with digging out the store front, g’day.”

A couple of hours pass as the CFP get to know each other. The CFP are a bit groggy from their short sleep but the light duty is all they need before they feel invigorated again. (Extended Rest, I’ll need an Endurance check from Screech to see how the bird is doing with the fever. Note that if he rolls poorly we can use Gweena’s Heal check in its place).

It has been snowing off and on all morning and the breakfast rush at the Tankard appears to be over. Curuvar is sitting at a small table next the the hearth. He’s sipping tea and looking over ancient scrolls again. Marsh is whistling an upbeat tune while he cleans tables.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris shakes her head ‘No’ in answer to Gwenna’s question about her being mute from birth, then pulled her cloak down and away from her neck, revealing the Forest Father’s symbol intricately tattooed in woad over her larynx while Digi regaled them all with his story.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

At a lull in the conversation, Raz says, “We need more help in finding the barrow. There is that goblin in the jail, if it is still alive. Since we don’t seem to be very good at intimidating, bluffing or being diplomatic so we probably couldn’t convince it to help us.

“We could try to arrange for its ‘escape’ and then I’m sure it would head back there. Where else could it go? Maybe we wouldn’t want to do this, but we could let the Horn Totem fall into its hands. Then he would surely head straight for the barrow. That would be risky. We would have to be sure to get it back from him before he arrived at the barrow. Which I think we could manage.

“Since Curuvar has been there, I wonder if we could convince him to lead us there. Probably not. Any other ideas?

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna looks at Raz with new respect, “A couple of good plans Raz, though I would be loathe to put the totem in the goblins’ hands. We had problems last night following a trail in the snow. Who knows what other obstacles we would have to overcome in following a goblin who knows this countryside. Maybe we should talk with Curuvar first.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“Now that is one intricate tattoo.” Digi says to Iris. “I don’t think I have ever seen anything like that before.”

then after hearing Raz’s ideas. “why not show the squeaker the totem, and let the idea that we might ‘negotiate’ a price for it… i am sure that Amagar is shifty enough – no offense – to sell that idea. then we have the squeaker lead us to the lair. once there we stomp to our hearts content… and rescue the children of course.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar leans back in his chair after Digi’s long-winded story of his travels from far away. Half because he believed it none of Digi’s business and half because it would be funny, he responds simply with a shrug and the word “around.”

“I like the idea of setting that fool goblin loose with a horn totem. I doubt highly that he would be suspicious of a reasonable facsimile given his strong inclination to do anything for this Ogre King. Here, allow me to see that totem. There must be something special about it.”

With that, he takes the totem in one hand and examines it carefully, looking to see if there’s some sort of writing on it or if, more likely, there’s a bit of magic in it that the goblins were looking for.

(( I think I did a Secure Dice roll for detecting magic, tell me if it worked. ))

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(It worked! Roll set 1 Die rolls: 6 Roll total: 16 for Detect Magic)

As Amagar rolls the black horn in his hands he feels more capable of facing even formidable sized foes. He sees no writing on it and does not sense any ritual or magic within it that would assist with resurrecting a long dead Ogre King.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Nodding, liking the ideal of making a fake horn totem, Raz checks to see how Screech is fairing.

(Screech Endurance (1d20): 20)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna fiddles with the holy symbol around her neck. She first looks to Raz, “Screech is getting better?” then she slowly starts speaking, “hmm…..release the goblin from jail, give him the totem and follow him back to the others? Even a goblin might smell a rat in that plan. But perhaps if he somehow escapes from jail and steals the fake totem…..” her voice drops off. “can be done, I suppose.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar nods. “Let’s set it up today and have the escape happen tomorrow night as the weather breaks. I’ll ask Curuvar about making that fake totem, and we’ll have the city watch lock it up near the goblins. Then somehow the goblins can get a hold of the keys to their cells and escape during a shift change. Screech can follow them until they leave the city and then we’ll set out and follow their very obvious tracks through all this fresh snow we have.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz says to Gwenna “You are very kind for asking about Screech. I think he is going to have good days and bad days. Today appears to be a good day. When he has a bad day, I hope you are near to ease his suffering.

Then to Amagar “He would be simpler if we could talk Curuvar into just coming with us. Failing that, I agree we should see if he can make a fake totem and try to get the ‘escape’ set up. I see Curuvar over there, so let’s go talk to him now.’

Raz heads over to the wizard and says “Good Morning Curuvar. I see you are very busy, but may we talk with you for a few minutes?

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna follows Raz to the wizard’s table. She smiles sweetly at Curuvar while Raz talks. She hopes that the wizard will decide to help quickly. She needs to go to the temple later in day. Spring equinox is the season of new beginnings; tis the season to give thanks for winter’s end and to ask for bountiful summer crops.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Raz goes up to their room he sees Screech perched up on the hearth’s mantle. Screech excitedly flaps his wings, repeatedly extending them to their full extent. (Screech over came the effects of Filth Fever).

Raz heads back down to the commons to speak with Curuvar. Curuvar looks up from his dusty old scrolls when Raz greets him.

“So you have returned from the Ruins of Torar, have you. Do you have the Skull Totem?” the wizened man asks?

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz says “No, we were not able to find the Barrow in the heavy storm. It seems that storm will continue for a couple more days. We need your help to find it. Since you have been there, would you consider taking us there in person once the snow stops? Or if you are confident you can find it in the storm, we could leave now.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Curuvar glances to a window before answering, “It’s already mid-morning… too late in the day to embark on such a journey today. By Mystra’s lost spell, I gave you directions, where they not clear enough?” the wizard says rather impatiently.

(How bout a Diplomacy check Raz, you can roll Gweena’s also since I don’t think she is around).

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz is a little embarrassed and says “Your directions were good, it’s just that we got caught in a snow storm of epic proportions. If it snows 1 inch per hour, it is a very heavy storm. This one appears to be dumping more about 2 inches per hour, at least it did last night.

“By the way, do you know about how many children have gone missing?

(Raz diplo = 1d20 -2 = 16-2=14) (Gwenna Diplo (1d20 + 2): 15 + 2 = 17)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Iris finished her meal, she nodded to the others and sat, listening to their planning. She didn’t particularly like the idea of letting the goblins have the totem, but Screech wouldn’t be the only one following the fleeing ‘squeaker’ as the Goliath called them.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“I believe about a half score of children have gone missing and I hear rumor that more have been kidnapped from Secomber,” the wizard answers Raz’s question.

Curuvar continues, “I’ll lead you to the barrow, but before I do I think you should know a bit more about the Ogre King. This creature, which was later dubbed the Ogre King discovered the Ruins of Torarr, a remote outpost of the dwarven kingdom of Ammarindar, in the Southwood some eighty years ago. He established a lair and subjugated local goblins. The Ogre King lasted just ten years, during which time his goblins raided far and wide. The ogre was slain by a group of adventurers passing through the area.”

“Be ready to travel in two days time, when this storm breaks. The barrow lies about three leagues south of here, so I want to get an early start.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“Why would the goblins want to raise it if it subjugated them, probably not in a nice way? What sort of powers did it have? Do you think taking the children has something to do with raising it? Sorry for so many questions, but I would like to know as much as possible before we enter into the dangerous woods.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“Do you think we should get some snow shoes before we begin? As you know, we want to rescue the children. With so many, I’m wondering how we are going to get them back to town safely. Do you have any suggestions? Again, sorry for all the questions, but we don’t get to talk much.

“And thanks for leading us there. We will surely get the skull totem now.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Curuvar just shrugs, “Goblins are a dull race, who knows their motivations. Perhaps they lust the control and power they once had under the rule of the Ogre King. As far as the journey is concerned, you must understand that it may still be difficult, although it will be easier without a storm blowing. I would imagine that there will be a fair amount of snow on the ground, and their will undoubtedly be hazards to be avoided and this may tax your physical resolve. I would prepare accordingly.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Curuvar adds, “If you find the children I would send word back to town and ask for help in getting the children back safely. The ritual ‘Animal Messenger’ may come in handy here. There is a ritual caster amongst you?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna says “Yes, I am versed in ritual casting.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Iris nods when Curuvar mentions the Animal Messenger ritual, it had been the first ritual she’d mastered, after all. When Gwenna says she is versed in ritual casting, Iris reaches up to place a hand on her shoulder gently, pantomimes a bird with her hands, then pats where her ritual book is hidden inside her cloak.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna looks to Iris and after a moment understands her message and then says “There is one in our midst who can cast that already.”

After appearing that the conversation is over, Raz get up and says “Well, it looks like it is time to re-supply.” He heads out into the town to look for sun rods, arrows and some toys and trinkets for children. But he is wondering what he can get with the two coins in his pouch…

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

And Raz will look at the snowshoes Calla said she had for sale.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar deposits the Horn Totem in the bottom of his pack, since they’re apparently not going to need to make a duplicate of it afterall. He then asks Marsh where he’ll be sleeping that night and leaves his traveling gear there. Unburdened significantly, he decides to head over to the Patrol Headquarters and ask to use their training facilities, certain that such would be the cheapest way for him to pass the time until the party would make their second attempt at finding the barrow. While he’s there he keeps an eye out for Captain Harrowleaf, the rumors he heard about the ‘Lady of Shadows’ syndicate in the back of his mind.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz says to Amagar, ‘Wait, before you stow that away, let’s show it to Curuvar.’

With that he takes the totem and shows it Curuvar and says ‘What would it take or do you have any materials where we could make a fake one of these. It may come in handy if it comes down to bargaining with the goblins. Just wondering if it is possible and worth the effort.’

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Curuvar takes the totem and slowly rolls it in his hand, “By Mystra’s lost spell, I thought I’ve seen the last of this when I sold it to Garwan… what was that… a duplicate? Let me have it and I will see what I can do.”

The wizened wizard gathers his scrolls from the table and along with the totem places them in his satchel, “Now if you will excuse me,” Curuvar says his parting and heads up stairs.

Raz finds the general store easily enough, a hanging sign shows this large building to be the Loudwater General. From other signs on the storefront, the place appears to carry everyday goods necessary to those living on the frontier. (Characters can find items from the PHB of 30 gp value or less. Snow shoes will cost 5 sp and will allow characters to ignore the effects of difficult terrain caused by ice or snow and will give them a +2 bonus to skill checks when crossing challenging terrain caused by ice or snow.)

Amagar heads out to find the Patrol Headquarters and soon comes to a building with a symbol of a crossed sword and axe. The clangs of metal and shouts from within indicate a fight to be underway. As Amagar enters the courtyard he sees a small gathering of men practicing their sword play.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(Is the Southwood flat or mountainous?)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz sees if Calla might need more help digging out of the snow. If it seems she does, he says “Calla, would you like me to help you dig out?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

(The Southwood is trackless and is considered rugged terrain. Several hours has passed since Raz has last seen Calla… the store and its walk in front has been dug out).

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz buys a quiver of arrows and 5 torches and tries to engage in small talk with Calla. “So, Calla, how long you been here? How do you like it here?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Having tagged along with Raz to Calla’s. Digi offers up a couple gold coins to Raz “I suspect the CFP will find something worth looting in the barrow. You running short? I aint loaded like royalty, but i did keep the bulk of my last payday set back”

then to Calla, “I will take a couple sun rods and a pair of snowshoes if you have a pair that are big enough… and maybe a few large sturdy sacks”

“say, you wouldn’t know anything about this ‘Lady of Shadows’ syndicate would you? they sound like a bad lot.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar lets Raz take the totem with a shrug, saying “just don’t lose it while I’m gone.”

Amagar goes to a corner of the courtyard, hoping that way he’ll only receive the occasional odd stare. There he stretches out before beginning the exercise routine the monks taught him before he even picked up a sword, slowing down occasionally to look around and see if the Captain was in sight.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Calla sits behind a large counter and reaches bellow to pull out a small lock box. She then calls out to someone working diligently in the rear stock room, “Raumandar, we have customers.”

A young man comes out of the rear room and approaches Calla with a cheerful smile upon his face. Its hard to place, but this man has an eldritch quality about him. Calla recites both Raz’s and Digi’s shopping list, and without a moments hesitation, Raumander begins gathering the items.

“I have lived in Loudwater my entire life and I like it just fine (Raz’s Insight tells him that Calla is saying she likes it just to be polite),” Calla begins. “The Lady of Shadows?... Never heard her (Raz’s Insight tells him that’s lie).”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar sees Captain Harrowleaf approaching him from a nearby building, more the likely the town’s garrison. The Captain holds his hand up in a friendly greeting, and when he gets near enough says, “You are a member of the CFP, the group who helped defend the town yesterday from the goblins?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz says to Digi “Thanks for the offer, but it looks like you are running short too. Don’t worry, maybe I’ll try to make some snowshoes later out of some tree branches.

Then to Calla “Oh, I see. Well, thanks” and gather his stuff, thinking Well, seems like we need to watch this one.

“Digi, we should to over to Garwan’s to see what he has to sell and to chat.”

With that, he heads over to Garwan. When he gets there, he looks around and engages in some idle chit chat and asks “So, what do you know about Calla? She doesn’t seem to like it much here.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

On the way to Garwan’s, if Digi came along, Raz tells him that ‘Calla was lying about liking it here and not having heard of the Lady of Shadows.’ If Digi didn’t come, he would tell him at some other opportune time.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

A sign bearing the image of a unicorn horn, an hourglass, and the words “Garwan’s Curiosities” hangs at the front of this store. Windows provide a view of a few of the bizarre items, including a shrunken head, candy wrapped in colorful leaves, playing cards, smoking accessories, fancifully decorated tankards, and more.

Raz and Digi enter the store and see Garwan sitting behind the counter puffing on a prodigious pipe. The dwarf greets the elf and the goliath with a good morning and offers them to browse all they want. The cruel dwarf from the other day is here also.

Garwan answers Raz’s inquiry, “Calla doesn’t like it here in Loudwater… Why do you say that?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz says to Garwan, “Just a feeling I get from talking to her. Nothing specific. Do you think she likes it here? Do you have dealings with her often?”

Raz looks to see how much the candy is and any other trinkets or toys that children may enjoy.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Gwenna will come with Digi and Raz and buy some snowshoes and two sun rods.

(Hope that’s OK Gypsy!. Current gp=14, final = 5)

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Dig trundles along with Raz. ((I thought the snowshoes were 5 SP))

at hearing Raz’s comment about Calla. “you think she is being squeezed by the Lady of Shadows (LoS from here out) with her overhead and inventory, they could really put a hurt on her…”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Garwan takes a pull from his pipe and reply’s with a puff of smoke, “I’ve known Calla for as long as I can remember. It’s a small town, so you can’t help but to have dealings with everyone who lives her. She always looks angry, but that’s just Calla. She’s seems happy enough, especially since Raumandar has come into her life.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

((uh…you’re right digi, 5 sp. I was thinking 5 gp. And for Gwenna, here total is 9.5 GP))

In that case, Raz buys a pair of snowshoes.

B4 they enter Garwan’s, Raz says to Digi, “Maybe, Digi, maybe. I think we should keep a watch on her store, since we got time. I’m good at not being seen when I want to be.”

Then to Garwan “That’s her adopted son? What is his story?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar takes a break from his routine to respond to the captain. “I was there and I will continue to work with them to hunt out this goblin menace, but I’m not a member of whatever organization they belong to. I don’t care much for their name.” That one degree of separation seems enough to satisfy Amagar’s pride. “As you may know, we made an attempt to find their barrow last night, but once the snow started to fall and we stumbled upon those rat men we felt it best to return here and wait out the weather.”

Amagar then shrugs slightly. “Although to be honest, I was hoping to talk about something else. I’ve heard some rather ugly rumors about those bodies that showed up outside the walls yesterday, and was wondering if you had any more information about that.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Garwan replies to Raz’s inquiry, “Raumandar is a foundling discovered on the shores of Highstar lake. He was found as a young boy and has no memory of his past. Foresters working in the area found him and brought him to Loudwater and Calla generously took him in. Raumandar is quiet and keeps to himself, but he obediently goes about his duties for Calla. Calla loves him to death and lauds him for his strength and his devotion to her store.”

Zark, overhearing his uncles conversation comes over and rudely says to Raz, “Your new here right… maybe you should mind you own business. If your looking for work let me know. I can pay you a descent wage as a dockworker, just let me know.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Raz is somewhat startled by the rudeness, not knowing what to think of it coupled with the offer of employment. Raz extends his hand in a friendly manner and says “My name is Melieraz.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

When Amagar mentions the bodies to Captain Harrowleaf, Amagar sees a change of disposition in the Captain. The stress of keeping Loudwater safe shows in Harrowleaf’s eyes.

“Headless bodies…,” the captain sighs, “We find them all to often enough and its always in the same fashion. Hung from their ankles from a tree so they bleed out, as if decapitation wasn’t enough. We can never get a positive identification on the cadavers, but best as I can tell they are always local fences, cutpurses, cheats, or highwaymen. The type that like to gather in the dock district. Its never any of the goodfolk, so I’m guessing its some vigilante operating in Loudwater’s shadows, which between you and me, is just fine.”

The captain changes the subject, “You appear to be well versed with those swords you carry, Amagar is it? If your looking for work, we can always use a good sword hand with the Loudwater Patrol. Our volunteers try to practice twice a tenday, perhaps you could come by and give them a demonstration.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

As the day wears on the snow falling from the low white clouds turns to freezing rain and then to sleet.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

A foul sound escapes Zark’s mouth as Raz extend’s his hand, “Psst. I don’t want to be your friend. Just let me know if you want some work.”

Garwan scolds Zark, “Now Zark, is that anyway to treat our guests.”

Zark mumbles, “Poxed bastard,” and leaves the store.

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

“So, that’s Zark. Why is so rude? What is his background? Is he related to you somehow? Why do you put up with it?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

After Garwan answers those questions, Raz will ask “So, have you heard of the Lady of Shadows? What do you know about them? Have you had any trouble with some of the more unsavory types around here?”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

with regard to Raz and watching Calla’s Store, “That might be a good idea Raz. i dont have any special skill at that sort of thing. maybe i can find something else useful to do while you are keeping an eye on it.”

then later when Zark offers work on the docks, “How much would that pay? I have been known to bend my back for coin from time to time.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Zark replies to the big goliath before leaving, “I’ll pay 5 gp per head that helps. That’s non-negotiable by the way (fyi, most common folk make 2 sp a day) and I’m expecting a ship to dock soon, probably when the river thaws and I will be needing some strong hands to help unload. I’ll let you know when.”

After Zark leaves, Garwan says, “He’s my nephew, he means well but sometimes he can be difficult.”

When Raz mentions the Lady of Shadows Garwan responds, “Isn’t that some local crime syndicate, don’t know much else (Raz’s Insight tells him that he’s hiding something and might know something more about the Lady of Shadows).”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Amagar shrugs, “I’ll be here tomorrow, but I’m no sword instructor. As for joining the patrol, I won’t be around long enough. I’m a blade for hire simply to cover my traveling expenses. When that kind of work dries up around here, I’ll likely be moving on.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
 

Without a moments hesitation, Digi replies “well, for 5 Gold, you got yourself a deal. we’re over at the Green Tankard. Just you let me know.”

Barrow of the Ogre King: Rats
strokes

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.