strokesRPG: Gray Vale

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help

Calla approaches the CFP asking for their help with dealing with a Loudwater crime syndicate, the Lady of Shadows

PbP Start Date: 11/22/2009
MT Session Date: 11/21/2009
Adventure Date: First-day, Tarsakh (The Claw of Storms) 11, 1479 DR
Base Location: Town of Loudwater
Adventure Module: Lady of Shadows
Session Number: 3.1

Pregame Notes

  • PCs level up to 3
  • X-Codes will be introducing his new PC “Gavin of Waterdeep, male half-elf paladin (Defender), Level 3”
    • Need to build a token
  • Samuelryn wanted to create an Eladrin Wizard, however I have yet to see a Character Sheet
    • Character sheet built with DDI, before game
  • Introducing “Companion Characters” for this adventure
    • Player’s will control NPCs during combat encounters. DM will RP NPCs.
    • NPCs get a share of XP, but not Loot.
    • Every player will have an opportunity to play a companion character if they want.
  • Need to finish Zark Companion Character.
  • CFP shows interest in the dragons lair.

OPENING CREDITS

First-day, Tarsakh (The Claw of Storms) 11, 1479 DR, the Year of the Ageless One…

Two members leave the CFP, and two more sign up. Iris left without any farewell, apparently returning to her homeland of the Moonshae Islands. However, a mysterious eladrin by the name of Erevan joins the adventuring party. Erevan tells the CFP that another dragon remains and has a lair in the high reaches of the Graypeak Mountains. The dragon has also allied with a local orc tribe for added protection.

Amagar squabbles with the remaining members of the CFP over differences on the direction the party should take. The CFP head down river to investigate another kidnapping and Amagar stays behind. The kidnapper’s trail is cold and when the CFP return Amagar is no where to be found. Needing steel, the CFP approach a Paladin of Amaunator, Gavin of Waterdeep, and ask him to join the CFP. Gavin, seeing the nobleness of the CFP accepts.

Callaof Loudwater General approaches the CFP, asking for their help… “For a few tendays now, a tiefling named Narrows has shown up in my store and told me that if I don’t accept the ‘protection’ of the Lady of Shadows, something bad could happen, like my shop being burned down or my knees being broken. I haven’t buckled under his threats, but I’m afraid what might happen if I don’t. Raumandar, my stock boy, is a capable enough fighter, but he might not be able to protect me or the store all the time.”

Calla believes that Narrows will return this night and offers the CFP 500 gold dragons for their help in protecting her store and taking down the Lady’s Gang. The CFP head to Loudwater General to build fortifications and plan a strategy for defending the store. Gweena and Gavin head to the Loudwater Patrol to request a guard unit to patrol the main street in front of the store. Captain Harrowleaf seems unaware of the extent of the Lady’s Gang, but he provides the CFP with three patrolmen none the less.

With the fortifications in place, Narrows does in fact show during Moondark with the Lady’s Gang. The CFP defeat the gang, however Narrows escaped during the battle. The remaining two gang members surrender and have yet to be questioned.

Welcome to Lady of Shadows, Session 3.1


Closing Location Details

Nation: Gray Vale
Town/Area: Town of Loudwater area 6
Building/Level: Loudwater General
Module Location Number: I1. Burn, Baby Burn!
Time: Moondark
Weather Condition: Temp. 46/35 F, Partly cloudy, Heavy Rain, Wind 8
Other Information: Two of the Lady’s Gang remain alive after the battle, a human outlaw and a elven archer. Narrows made his escape during the battle.

Last Major Events

  • CFP Accept Calla’s Plea for help
    • Lady of Shadows is extracting “protection” money from the shop owners of Loudwater.
  • Encounter Burn, Baby Burn!
    • Total XP 1,402/9=155 XP each. **Loot Found: 2 emeralds (worth 100 gp ea.), 25 GP, Rebounding Longbow +2, 5 alchemist’s fire arrows (20 gp ea), 10 alchemist’s fire (20 gp ea.)

Comments

A heavy rain falls from a dark sky and water quickly collects in the rear alley of the store creating a mucky mess of mud and debris. The elf and the human, who only a short while ago were eager to spread their chaos and reek havoc on the innocent, cower in the muck, occasionally glancing up to their goalers to perhaps catch a glimpse of what fate may befall them.

Rolen, the elf scout from the Loudwater Patrol, sheathes his longsword, but keeps his short sword in his offhand. He runs up to the other elf, sticking the working end of his blade to his back and says rather smartly, “Not so tough now, are you?” Rolen face quickly goes blank as if he’s not sure what to do or say next.

The other two patrollers join the others in the rear ally, muttering something about lots of dead bodies and how they had better get the captain here quickly.


Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(assuming the effects of blindness have passed for Digi)

The goliath looks at the carnage around him, then up to Raz on the roof top. “not a bad show eh?” he then marches down to the south where the surviving members of the gang surrendered. looking at Rolen, he frowns and says “put away your blade. a dead prisoner wont tell us where to find the rat who ran off.”

after a brief moment he walks to the human outlaw, stands close and looks him over. then suddenly, his hand snaps up, grasping the human by the throat, he lifts him slightly off the ground “Spill it now… where did that dark rat run off to? he and i have unfinished business. (Intimidate Check: 17(d20)+ 6 = 23) Answer quick. my hair is getting wet.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

As soon as the battle is over, Raz jumps down heads over to the alley Narrows disappeared down and says to Digi “Yeah, some show. Why would elves been involved with this dirty crew?”

And then to anyone who is near, “This is not over yet. Let’s go hunting!” He then heads down the alley, looking for a fresh trail. Screech will also fly overhead, to try to guide the hunting party towards the fleeing horns. (Perception: 1d20 + 10: 20 + 10 = 30…love that evil DM!)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gavin shakes off the nasty blow he received from the outlaw before walking over to join Digi in the interrogation. “Indeed. Dawn is coming to the Lady of Shadows, and their crimes will be dealt with severely. Fail to confess now and repent for your crimes, and the next bearer of Justice may not be as kind to you as have we been. Where is Narrows going?” Gavin then sheathes his sword, as if to signal that he will neither kill them himself, nor stop the massive Goliath that just might.

(Diplomacy: 1(d20) +14 = 15. If someone else wants to try the good cop, you get an extra +1 bonus.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gavin also speaks with the guards at one side. “Wait a moment before getting the captain. We must interrogate these men immediately and take up the pursuit of Narrows. When we finish then you three and Raumadar can escort them back to the captain and tell him about all that has happened as well as where we’re heading.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Stepping up closer to where Digi and Gavin are questioning the outlaws, Gwenna speaks in a firm yet kind voice, “If you tell us where Narrows ran off to, I will speak to Captain Harrowleaf to lighten your punishment. And why protect someone who ran off and left you to die?” (Diplomacy check (1d20 + 9): 11 + 9 = 20)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Erevan soon has a spell conjured to hold something over his head to keep his hair from getting any wetter.. And he moves closer to the goliath to offer some shelter for the larger man’s locks as well. He fixes a piercing lavender gaze upon the human cutthroat, studying him up one side and down the other.

Streetwise (to try and get an idea of how organized the Lady of Shadows’ men might be): 1d20+8 26 = 18[d20]+8

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

The outlaw looks back, and forth from the goliath, the paladin, and the priest of Chauntea, obviously calculating his chances. Looking up to Digi while grasping for breath he says, “Narrows? He’s more than likely at the Loudwater Apothecary”.

Meanwhile Screech flies overhead to the north scanning the streets for any sign of Narrows. It appears the tiefling has disappeared, either heading inside or underground. Raz follows the alley until it opens again into another street. There in the mud are the fresh tracks of Narrows and normally would be easy to follow. However, with it raining as hard as it is, the tracks won’t last long.

Erevan can guess from what he’s seen tonight that the Lady of Shadows’ gang is deeply rooted here in Loudwater. By openly attacking, even with Loudwater Patrol members there to witness the events, tells Erevan that patrollers may be on the take, or possibly even the town’s magistrate. The gang’s intended actions tonight were probably meant as a warning to the other shop owners of what may happen if they don’t pay for “protection”. This gang has been around for awhile and is probably involved in more than just “protection”.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz continues to follow the tracks, wishing he had some backup.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

After the outlaw speaks, the goliath pushes him roughly to the ground. “Smarter than you look.” he then indicates to Raumandar that he should take custody of the outlaw and turn him over to the watch. “Tie him and keep him till the watch captain comes.”

Once Raumandar seems to have things in hand, Digi looks to the paladin that has just joined the party. “If they intend to strike the apothecary, we need to stop them.”

Then after a glance around he notices that Raz is not with them. “Raz may already be headed that way, and he will surely need our help.”

Digi pauses to see if the others are of like mind.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“Let us hurry in case there is someone in need.” Gwenna steps out quickly in the direction of the apothecary.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gavin takes a moment to ponder the criminal’s words, wondering if this man Narrows was really so bold as to try another attack tonight. ( Insight 11(d20) +12 = 23 )

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raumandar, without saying a word, nods in agreement. The Loudwater patrol ties the captives hands, preparing them for their march to the goals.

Raz follows the tracks through alleys and main streets, making his way easily though the town.

Gavin thinks about what the outlaw said and determines that he meant no attack, but rather Narrows went to the apothecary for safety. Perhaps the Loudwater Apothecary is a safehouse for the gang.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz continues on, and tries to remain hidden as much as possible following the tracks. If he sees the back of Narrows head or anything else suspicious, he will slow down. (Stealth: 1d20 + 10 – 5: 20 + 10 – 5= 25….wow, two 20’s in a row.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gavin follows with the group towards the Apothecary. “Be careful, I think the Apothecary may have an alternative reason as to why the owner isn’t paying ‘protection’ money. When we get there, we should be wary and approach cautiously.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“Wouldn’t the apothecary be a place you might find alchemist fire? Like on that arrow? If that is their hideout, Raz might be in trouble… let us make haste.”

(Digi looks about for screech, hoping to catch sight or sound of him and a hint to Raz’s location. Perception (1d20): 8)

“Can any of you see screech?”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Erevan considers staying with the Watchmen to make sure the two gang members do indeed end up in the gaol, then thinks better of it.. If the group is as rooted in the city as he thinks, then it’s unlikely they would stay in the gaol for long anyways, so he soon follows after the others. The Goliath at least wasn’t hard to follow..

From what he could tell of this group of adventurers, they seemed a decent sort.. but more time amongst them would provide a more thorough investigation into the matter.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gwenna too looks to the sky, looking, listening for Screech. (Perception (1d20 + 5): 3 + 5 = 8)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

As he moves through the streets, Raz will draw his dagger.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

The sky is dark and sheets of rain fall to the ground obscuring almost all vision. There’s no sign of screech as Gweena, Digi, Erevan, and Gavin make their way to the apothecary.

Meanwhile, Raz is able to follow the muddy tracks to a small courtyard, circled by many buildings. In the center of the courtyard is a large fountain. Several bushes and trees have been neatly manicured creating neat paths around the fountain. Sticking to the shadows, Raz approaches through one of the many alley’s which lead to this green area. On the far side of the courtyard stands the Loudwater Apothecary. Flanked on either side of the doors stands two guards, apparently unaware of Raz’ approach.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz halts his approach and is puzzled why Narrows tracks lead to the front door of the Apothecary, apparently passing the guards unimpeded. He will remain in the shadows and observe the guards for a few moments. (Are the guards in the city’s regalia?) He starts to look for potential sniper positions in the square and out of the Apothecary which could be a threat to an approach. (Perception: 1d20 + 10: 13 + 10 = 23).

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Digi continues to move purposefully and quickly (but not outdistancing the rest of the group) toward the Apothecary. he holds his axe close to his side as he walks. “wonder if we will run into Raz?” he wonders aloud.

After a moment, he looks to Gavin “Any ideas on what to do once we get there?”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“None, my large friend. We apparently go to a den of wretched thugs in the dark of night, it’s not going to be easy to take them at the root.” Gavin says grimly, apparently trying to think of a better solution to this problem.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz scans the rooftops looking for snipers and sees none. The human guards at the door carry clubs and carry themselves not unlike those encountered at Calla’s store. Raz hears his companions approach from the street, however Raz his hiding and his friends may not see him.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz steps out to great his friends and says “We may have a bigger problem here. There are guards outside the apothecary and they look like the ones that attacked Calla’s store.” Since he hasn’t had the chance, he will then take a short rest while the party discusses what to do next.

“Someone what to go say ‘Hello’ to the guards? I would like the chance to get on the roof of the third building to the East on the south side of the square.” (The one with the green roof. Raz would try to gain access from the south side of the building, out of site of the guards and somewhat off the map.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“lets catch our wind, then stick those 2 full of arrows. maybe we can get them before they can alert the others. we can swing along the north side here and flank them, that gets me close enough to greet them properly”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Do the guards have ranged weapons?)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“If can distract the guards if needed. Certainly a cleric can be convincing about needing some medicine. What do you think?”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“Digi, sounds good.” Then turning to Gwenna “Unfortunately, Narrows probably alerted the guards to watch for us, so I don’t think distracting them would be effective.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(strokes only mentioned clubs. last minion guys did not have missile capability)

“if you want a distraction, i can do that too”— Digi puts on a wide grin

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“Maybe you and Gavin should attack from the east, one in each alley. When they become aware of you, I’ll start shooting them with arrows. Gwenna and Erevan can back you up from the east if they are so inclined.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“I don’t think we should wait for them to become aware of us. It’s likely that they’d just run inside and then that would be two more we need to fight inside, and further they’d all be aware of our presence. If they’re relying on those two guards to alert them, then perhaps the people inside will be caught off-guard if we go in there unannounced.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“Hmm…how about this. Everyone get where they want to be and not be detected. I’ll send Screech to circle the plaza. Then I’ll signal him to, well, screech. That will signal that we should all attack at once and hopefully catch them by surprise. I’ll be on the roof on of the large building to the SE (with the green roof). Nobody show their face until they hear the screech. Stay hidden around a corner or someplace.”

“Lucky for us, it is raining and dark, so it will be hard for them to see or hear us.”

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“i will just cross to the north of this and the building with the outside steps and come down east edge of the opening along the building till i am just about to enter their line of sight then wait for the screech. that puts me in easy charging distance to the first thug.”

(i suspect we are supposed to begin the encounter in the blue box if that is the case, i would have digi start the encounter in the north corner of the square at the east edge of the box – just south of the gable end of the middle building of the north row. i would place Raz on the gable end of said roof with the commanding field of fire. Another melee type starting next to digi would also be able to reach the thugs with a charge attack.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

“Then I will circle around to the south and prepare the same treatment for the other, it will take a moment, however.”

With that, Gavin cautiously moves around the perimiter following Raz, only instead of climbing up on the roof he simply settles himself at the foot of the southern wall of the building.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Digi, that blue box is Raz’s aura. Whoever is in it gets a +1 to perception checks.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Chawk, how high do you want Screech? Just state how many squares you want screech above the ground level. FYI, The building’s roof edges on the low side are all about 3 squares (20-foot) above the ground, while the ridges are 4 squares.

I need Stealth checks from Raz, Digi, and Gavin (+5 bonus for weather conditions). At the moment there’s no rush so I’ll assume your moving at 4 squares per round.

What are Gweena and Erevan doing while the rest of the CFP move into position?

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Chawk, did you see that Raz received that Rebounding Longbow +2 from teh last encounter?)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Erevan moves around the far sides of the buildings to come up between the one Raz is on and the one to it’s west, staying out of sight while he waits for the signal.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

I’m going to need a Stealth check from Erevan with a +5 mod.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Missed the LB. Thx.)

(Screech will fly to 14 squares over the courtyard and circle or be low enough to be able to see the signal from Raz. Raz will move over the the lower SE corner of the roof so that when he pops up he can get a clean shot at both guards. Stealth: 1d20 + 15: 3 + 15 = 18)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz climbs the wall of the building, which towers over 2 stories, and hefts himself up over the gutter, placing himself on the roof. The roof appears to be in disrepair and wet wooden shakes provide very little purchase for the elf’s nimble feet. Carefully, Raz climbs up to the roof ridge in order to get a clear shot at the gang members. As Raz peeks over the edge, he see’s that the two men appear to have not noticed him.

Raz looks to the sky and he sees Screech circling the courtyard high overhead, also seemingly unnoticed by the gang members.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Stealth: 1d20+4+5 27 = 18[d20]+4+5

Also, Erevan would have been staying completely out of line of sight with the guards behind the buildings unless they can see REALLY well at 19 squares away in the rainy dark.

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gwenna will move to the north, behind the building with the stairs and will carefully conceal herself at the northwest corner of third building, directly across the alley from Digi (Stealth (1d20 + 1): 1 + 1 = 2). Gwenna must have tripped and broke something!

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(i was wanting Digi to be 2 sq east, and 2 south of where he is on the map.)

Stealth : (1d20 + 6): 10 + 6 = 16

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz will single Screech to begin the attack. (Assuming we have a surprise round) he will then edge up just enough to see over the peak of the roof to get two shots off, one at each guard. (Minor: Quarry guard closest to Raz. Standard: Thundertusk boar strike,

at first guard, To Hit: 1d20 + 10: 15 + 10 = 25, DMG: 1d10 + 7 + 1d6: 8 + 7 + 3= 18.

At second guard, To Hit: 1d20 + 10: 4 + 10 = 14. If that one missed, Elven Accuracy to reroll: 1d20 + 10: 9 + 10 = 19, if that one missed, weapon encounter power and reroll: 1d20 + 10: 8 + 10 = 18. DMG, 1d10 + 7: 1 + 7 = 8)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(oh, I forgot to add +2 for CA to the attack rolls.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(The shiny man being sneaky?)

Stealth: 16(d20) +1 = 17

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Scratch that last reroll since it has to be another target via the rebound bow.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gweena moves into the alley with Digi, knocking over some wooden pallets in the process. The pallets come crashing to the ground with a loud bang. The sound echoes through the courtyard, alerting the guards to your presence (lose surprise round).

The gang member shouts, “Who goes there,” and raises his club while the other guard raps on the door to the apothecary with his fist and says loudly, “We have company.”

(Roll Init!) Narrows – 21 Brosha – 17 Outlaw – 10 Gang Member – 3

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Chawk, I’m going to have to disregard your surprise round attack, However you may still gain your sneak attack (depending on who you attack) when your turn comes up.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Raz curses under his breath for making another tactical error and thinks “Never send a goliath to do an elf’s job.”

(Init: 1d20 + 7: 4 + 7 = 11)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

Gwenna winces as she trips over the barrels almost falling to the ground. “Drat!” she says to herself. ( Initiative (1d20 + 3): 5 + 3 = 8)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
 

(Init (1d20 + 1): 17 + 1 = 18)

Digi startles at the activity behind him then looks at Gwenna, “Careful. There’s nobody here to heal you.)

Lady of Shadows: A Plea for Help
strokes

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.